Scallops are one of those things that are SO simple to cook, and yet, so simple to screw up.
- 1 pound sea scallops, patted dry
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Freshly ground sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon for squeezing, optional
- Remove tiny side muscle from the scallops if they have them, then rinse with cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Add the butter and oil to a large saute pan over high heat.
- Generously salt and pepper the scallops. Once the butter/oil combo begins to smoke, gently add the scallops, making sure they are not touching. Sear scallops for 1 1/2 minutes on each side - not touching them at all while they're searing. The scallops should have a nice golden crust on each side and be translucent in the center. Serve right away!!!